As of July, 2013, the Gates Family Foundation has moved its offices to the Hover Building located at 1390 Lawrence St. in downtown Denver. The Foundation purchased the building in the fall of 2012. The Hover Building was completed in 1901 to serve as the offices and warehouse of W. A. Hover’s wholesale pharmaceutical business. It was built on lots that were previously part of the home of John Evans, second Territorial Governor of Colorado. The Hover Building is a steel and timber frame structure with a brick façade. It is both a Denver Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Hover Building remained connected to its original use through the 1950s. Later it was owned by the University of Colorado at Denver. It served as a library and home to the School of Architecture and Planning. During this time the building was known as the Charles D. Bromley Building. More recently the building has been the home of design firms and other commercial tenants.
The Hover Building was designed by Robert S. Roeschlaub, one of the premier architects of his time in Colorado. Roeschlaub was President of the American Institute of Architects - Colorado from 1892 to 1912. He was made a Fellow of the National American Institute of Architects in 1900. Roeschlaub designed many landmark buildings during the course of his career, including Trinity United Methodist Church, the Central City Opera and Chamberlin Observatory at the University of Denver. Roeschlaub was also the premier architect of Denver Public Schools facilities, and is responsible for the design of Dora Moore, Wyatt and Emerson Schools among others. The Hover Building is one of only two commercial buildings Hover designed that are still in existence.