The Hover Building was designed by Robert S. Roeschlaub, one of the premier architects of his time in Colorado. Roeschlaub was President of the American Institute of Architects - Colorado from 1892 to 1912. He was made a Fellow of the national American Institute of Architects in 1900. Roeschlaub designed many landmark buildings during the course of his career, including Trinity United Methodist Church, the Central City Opera and Chamberlin Observatory at the University of Denver. Roeschlaub was also the premier architect of Denver Public Schools facilities, and is responsible for the design of Dora Moore, Wyatt and Emerson Schools among others. The Hover Building is one of only two commercial buildings Roeschlaub designed that are still in existence.
The Hover Building remained connected to its original office/warehouse use through the 1950s. Later, it was owned by the University of Colorado at Denver. It served as a library and home to the School of Architecture and Planning. During this time the building was known as the Charles D. Bromley Building. More recently the building has been the home of design firms and other commercial tenants.
Market Street Management, a Denver-based property management company, provides asset and property management services for the Hover Building. St. Charles Town Company, a local real estate development company with a long history of involvement in historic preservation and with adaptive reuse of historic buildings, assisted with the purchase and renovation of the Hover Building.
The Gates Family Foundation offices on the fourth floor of the building were designed by Semple Brown Design and constructed by Sprung Construction, both of Denver. Nine Dot Arts assisted with the sourcing and selection of art for the space. The U.S. Green Building Council has certified the Foundation offices as meeting the LEED Gold standard.