COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT: ECONOMIC MOBILITY FOR FAMILIES AND INDIVIDUALS
Communities thrive when residents have equitable access to good jobs, support for entrepreneurship, and opportunities to build and pass down family wealth. Gates is committed to addressing systemic economic inequities and building a more just, inclusive economy through targeted efforts to build wealth for low-income residents and communities of color across urban and rural Colorado.
As many mountain towns and cities along Colorado’s Front Range experience rapid growth and investment, the rising cost of living is pushing low- and moderate-income residents farther from the opportunities they need to attain a high quality of life. Too often, people of color, women, and low-income rural residents face great barriers to accessing capital. This limits home ownership, entrepreneurship, and generational wealth-building across many Colorado communities.
Gates Family Foundation is committed to addressing the root causes of economic inequality and inequitable community development. Our grants and resources in this focus area may support:
- Innovative approaches to local community wealth building such as community land trusts
- Community-based programs that build wealth for low- income and/or BIPOC residents and neighborhoods
- Loans and other investment tools that increase access to capital for historically marginalized entrepreneurs
- Ownership models that retain or transfer equity to workers, residents, and communities
- Financial and business coaching and services that increase participation in the economic sector by low-income and BIPOC residents